Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Bitch mode

Yes I've been MIA. I had no idea it has been this long! I've joined my running club's race team right after the New Jersey marathon. I even placed first in my age group at the last 8k a few wks ago. Then (cue mystery movie music) my foot started giving me hell. Yeah HELL! It was just a bit achy then a little pain, achy, pain, achy, SEVERE pain. With two weeks left before I start training for the Marine Corps Marathon I called my doctor in a panic. I insisted on an x-ray because I was sure it was a stress fracture, without a doubt. X-ray showed nothing. The internet is a cruel, cruel world. I started researching a myriad of ailments that it could be. I finally got in to see a podiatrist who said it was simply bursitis with plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis. What the hell? Could I possibly get another ailment ending in "itis?"

P.S. Two cortisone injections later, twice weekly physical therapist visits, kinesio taping, prescription anti-inflammatories, lots of tears, some alchohol and it's not healing as fast as I want it to. Currently I have pressed pause on my training plan. I'm going to rest the foot. NO RUNNING for the whole week then re-access my game plan. I can sell my bib if I need to. There are many people who desperately want to run MCM. So needless to say I'm not a very happy girl lately. I realized I NEED to run. It's my addiction. It's my high. It's my crack/cocaine, cheesecake, vodka, and even therapist. At least I can walk right? Here's a parting shot of my foot taped up w/ kinesio tape which I swear helps immensely!! Pray for my family right now..

2 comments:

  1. DP I do run w/ the tape and it helps immensely. I also have it running from my heel to calves for achilles. I gotta tell you rolling a frozen water bottel on the foot really helps. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. THat I haven't tried, I do ice it a lot however. It doesn't bother me when I run but I'm curious about the tape.

    ReplyDelete