Sunday, July 26, 2009

Foot Fetish

Since I last left off I've been doing the doctor circuit. Following numerous recommendations from my running teammates I went to see Dr. Larry Lembo, the GOD of runners and all athletic related injuries. I have to mention his name because he is THE ONE. The one who has identified what is going on and what to do about it. Apparently in addition to my plantar fasciitis I have tightness in the posterior tibial tendon.
He has been doing an amazing massaging technique called A.R.T. or Active response technique. It hurt like hell the first time but as time progresses the pain is bearable. It's like a deep tissue massage but in an area that is as tight as a rubber band. Things are going along well and I was able increase my distance into the double digits. Ok 10 miles, but that's double digits!!

Then I go and trip over the stupid vacuum cleaner that I neglected to put away. It was a stupid accident that sent me to the emergency room. I walk in and they ask what's wrong I say "my toe is broken." Young doc fresh outta med school comes in and says, "I don't think it's broken but we'll take and x-ray." Now I know if it's broken there's nothing that can be done but I NEED confirmation to be sure. So the young doctor, did I mention kinda cute but not in a Dr. McDreamy way, comes back and says, "It's fractured." "No shit Sherlock" I say. I tell him I'm training for my sixth marathon. He tapes it up and tells me no running for two weeks. I cry, he leaves. Stupid young doctor has no bedside manner. I'll spare you more foot photos. Let's just say it was big, blue, purple & painful!
So here it is 5 days after the accident. I've been crosstraining like nobody's business. I can bike and crank out some mean miles on the eliptical. Confession time. This morning I taped up the toe, put on heavy socks, tied the sneaks on tight and went for a 4 mile run. It felt soooo good. I'm thinking it's intervention time! Tomorrow I'm back on the eliptical for an hour. I realized I absolutely need the endorphin high on a daily basis. I can't survive without it. Lazy is NOT in my vocabulary. Maybe my sister in law is right, maybe I am ADD.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your toe...Get well soon...

    "Sport is not about being wrapped up in cotton wool. Sport as about adapting to the unexpected and being able to modify plans at the last minute. Sport, like all life, is about taking risks."
    - Sir Roger Bannister ~chaco sandals

    ReplyDelete