Monday, March 23, 2009

The Crud still lives

I can't even explain what is going on and why I can't seem to shake this crud. Granted it's been a rough winter and I've done the majority of training outdoors I'm still sick. Sinus pressure, ear pain, ear ringing and chest congestion. Those are the symptoms. The diagnosis? The crud.

So yesterday I dragged my cruddy butt out to Central Park for the Colon Cancer 15k. As I had posted last week this was going to be my "shining moment." No I didn't use those words exactly. If you read between the lines you got it though. I got there early so I could find a precious parking spot. I think it's easier to get mugged than find a parking spot in Manhattan! Anyways half an hour after driving around I found a spot. I ran to the park because I knew it was so early I would be able to find a clean port-o-potty. My plan? To stay warm and confined as long as I can. Found a brand spankin' new suite and stationed myself for half an hour. The odd thing is I didn't even go to the bathroom the whole time! Just huddled and stayed warm. I did have a change of clothes in my bag and decided to go with the capri's, tank top & shell jacket since it was 40 degrees at the start.

I headed over to the start area 10 minutes before and thought warm thoughts. The start was rough because it was so crowded. I felt like I was just jogging with a couple hundred people for the first mile. I finally broke through the crowd and was on my own. All was good for the first four miles. My lungs weren't happy the legs were the only ones getting attention so they decided to get in on the action. It's hard to cough up heavy mucus when you're trying to race. From there on the hacking, spitting and labored breathing began. I'm no quitter so I kept pushing myself. I'll admit I wanted to quit a few times. If only I could stop and spit the dam lung out already! I thought what if my lung collapsed right here on the course? The fight between me & my lungs continued for the remainder of the hilly race. It wasn't easy that's for sure! I finished in 1:17:45. I'd like to think that if it weren't for the crud I would've finished in my projected 1:15 or better but come on, that's a good time considering I fought hard for it!

The story of my life. I have to fight hard for everything!

1 comment:

  1. Fran--

    I think you did an awesome job, ESPECIALLY since you're sick too! And I have to laugh at the image of you camping out in a port-o-potty. Too funny!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete