Monday, February 9, 2009

Open letter to the Girl in the Blue Shirt

Dear Girl in blue shirt,

About halfway into my 13 mile run yesterday you passed me at the turn around. It was early in the morning and there are very few runners on that long desolate road as it is. Dozens of bikers but few runners. I've only seen 4 runners since I've run that road. But you, you're different. You wizzed past me with great form. A stride like no other I've seen. You were in "the zone." You were also fast! You ran past me at the point that I started feeling aches & pains. I was focusing on those aches and pains and mentally tearing myself up. Then our paths converged. Suddenly I felt that fire in my belly. "I'm going to catch up to the girl in the blue shirt" is all I kept thinking. I amped up my pace trying to remind myself this is an LSD not a race. No matter I wanted to catch up to you. Even if I kept an even pace at your heels I didn't care. I managed to stay within a quarter mile of you for about 5 miles. At each winding turn I dug in deeper hoping at the next bend I'd be even closer to you. The inclines were ahead of us and I thought for sure you'd slow down. You just kept me going. Then there was a fork in the road. I though is this where we diverge or I continue the chase. Unfortunately my road takes me back to Mayberry, your's back into another town. So long Girl in blue shirt!

I do want to thank you for the challenge. Thank you for diverting my attention even just for 5 miles. Thank you for pushing me a little harder. Thank you for reminding me I could work harder. I hope we meet again, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment